Saturday, October 3, 2009

10/3 Expressions

Frugal Deeds for the week: Next week is our community yardsale. I am getting stuff gathered to get rid of. My husband will be taking care of the sale, my daughter and I will be heading to a large fabric store about an hour away. Why am I heading to a fabric store, because the other item that needs to be repaired in our rental condo is the sofa/sleeper. It looks like someone pulled the fabric from bottom edge or rubbed something (vacuum cleaner) against it. So, I am going to see if I can repair it myself since I have some sewing skills. To send it out to get the whole sofa re-upholstered will be expensive. Also, we need to replace the counter tops. I got 3 quotes to get a laminate granite/granite. The prices ranged from $750 to $2,650. We chose the $750 and it will be done next week. I have gathered the "inventory" items. Most of the stuff we had around the house. I picked up 3 items from Target for under $15. If I let the management company get the items, the prices are inflated about three times. First, they don't appear to look for sales. Secondly, they have to factor in labor/profit to get the stuff. I also responded to a freecycle ad. Seems or freecycle has grown so much, and since I don't sit an monitor it, it is just a shot in the wind. This time I got lucky. This morning, I dug up some canna plants and Jerusalem artichoke plants/tubers and have already replanted them. Also this week, I have been lucky with coupons. I got my free TGI Friday Burger coupon (good starting tomorrow)and a coupon for a free cookie from Great American Cookies. I also received a check from a "survey" company. I got my daughter to go through some more of her DVDs. I have listed some, some will go in the yardsale. I have been telling myself that I am going to paint the guest bathroom with the freebie paint I got from Sherwin Williams - I am going to do that tomorrow. I did not have to buy anything for that "job". I had left over tape, brushes, roller.

No comments: