Sunday, May 24, 2009

5/24 Expressions

Warning - PF Rants ahead. Today, in the paper, I read how people who pay their credit cards off every month are essentially freeloaders - essentially causing credit card companies to gouge those with bad credit ratings or who are late payers and it might be a good time for credit card companies to start instituting annual fees, etc. I pay off my credit cards every month and am not a freeloader. It it my understanding that credit card companies charge companies that accept my credit card as a form of payment, a transaction fee. I use cards because I don't have an annual fee and I get rewards - either cash back, airline mileage or hotel points. But, it wouldn't bother me to pay cash, especially if it were beneficial. The post below mentioned that I got an extravagant mother's day gift - yup, we paid cash because the merchant offered me 10% - which made it worth it. So, if credit card companies think they can start charging annual fees and take away rewards - they can - but, I won't have any incentive to use them - and instead of making the transaction fees from my purchases, they'll make $0 off of me. Which leads into my other rant - this argument over not being frugal enough? Or too "cheap"? I think - to each, his own. If you have $, who am I to judge someone if they bought a gas guzzler or not (or whatever) - if it isn't against the law, they have money, probably not "frugal" by my standards - but there is no law requiring anyone to be frugal. As for cheap, that's another one that's to each his own. If someone had no money coming in, is there anything (within the law) that would be too cheap? So, they use a tea bag three times and ration their toilet paper (and get the job done)? Or, even if someone had the $, if those habits give them some of comfort/control in their life - who cares? On the flip side, why should everyone follow one person's frugal/cheapness standards - especially when no one knows another person's circumstances?

No comments: