Monday, July 19, 2010

7/19 Expressions

Frugal deeds/misdeed for the week: This morning, the Tax Assessor called with regard to our protest about one property - and she stated there was an error and reduced the value! I know most people hate to see the value of their property go down - but you might as well owe less taxes if it does. So, this year, property values have decreased for two of our properties and stayed the same for the other four. I did call the Tax Assessor with regard about the other properties (different county) - and because there wasn't much purchase history last year, she claimed she has not basis to reduce the values. I mentioned it appears there has been activity this year - at reduced prices - so, they should go down next year unless prices quickly adjust upward this year. We stopped at McD's with the free Frappe coupon and a $1 off Smoothies coupons - and they gave us both for free and wished us to "have a nice day" - wasn't that nice. Disclaimer: We do own a few shares of McDonald's stock - but, that didn't cloud our opinion - perhaps as share holders we should suggest they get a bit more stingy with the freebies - just kidding :) Frugal misdeed this past week - I misplaced my checkbook - didn't know if it was stolen or lost - and paniced and went to the bank immediately - after calling the auto-info line to hear if any unusual activity had taken place. Nope - but I put a stop payment on the rest of the series of check at a $25 fee (much better than $25 per check). Wouldn't you know it, I found the check book yesterday - and shreaded the checks. I guess that $25 gave me a peace of mind and the checks will become compost - so it wasn't a total bust. :)

No comments: