Monday, May 12, 2008

5/12 Expressions

Mail today was nice. Beach condo rent check, a check from the mail decoy service (this was a nice surprise - as they usually "pay" us in stamps), and the $10 Papa Johns Gift Certificate from Mypoints. Well, my husband checked on our insurance and being "frugal" - I had declined car rental priveleges. So, we started researching buying a car asap. Yes, we know many say buy used and avoid depreciation. But neither of us are auto mechanics - so, we usually buy new, for reliability, reasonably priced, in cash and drive them until repair bills are more than the car is worth. So, now that gas prices are a concern, we wanted something with reasonable gas mileage also. I had a 2004 Saturn Vue - manual - that got decent gas mileage. Tomorrow, my husband will be picking up my 2008 Honda Civic LX - automatic - now that my arm/shoulder hurts - I really don't want to have to shift (I know - the hurt will go away - but I'll take the convenience for now). We got it for invoice plus taxes/tags. I am sure they got some sort of "incentive". We checked around for used Honda Civics in the paper and on line - it was hard to find a 4 door - and when we did, they were priced pretty close to new or had lots of miles on them (I know - people say this car lasts forever). So, I would say, we searched for around 2 hours into pricing and are happy with what we got. We put $500down on the the credit card (more hotel points) - the rest will be paid by check tomorrow when my husband and father pick it up. Now, I am hoping the adjuster sends us a check for my totalled car quickly, as our emergency account is now pretty much wiped out. I was going to save that Papa John's giftcard for my husband's birthday. But, since I don't feel like cooking much, we will be getting BOGO Pizza's and they should last for dinner, lunch and dinner tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why not buy 2 years old used, and sell it after a few years? The car is still under warranty for 3 more years, still feels like a new car, but is generally half the price of the car brand new. It's what I've been doing and has worked out great, I also haven't had to do any mechanic type work on it yet, I bought it at 2 years old, and it's now 4 years old.

A Frugal Mom's Financial Expressions said...

Thanks for your comment. Years ago I bought a used Honda Civic - no problem in finding one and no problems with it - held its value, etc. Perhaps because of gas prices? The economy? If I wasn't clear, I looked for a used one - I only found 2 or 3 used 4 doors and they were priced very close to "new" or more than what I am paying for a new one - perhaps they were "loaded" - which isn't what I am looking for. I plan to keep this one for as long as runs.