Sunday, July 22, 2012

7/22 Expressions New Computer Edition

The computer died last week.  Wouldn't boot at all.  So, we waited for my husband to take a look.  He thought he might be able to fix it - but it would still be as slow as molasses - and he wasn't sure how much parts would cost.  My daughter needs a reliable system to be able to do homework, projects, etc.  So, being frugal?, maybe cheap, I suggested that we just buy a new CPU and keep using the at least 10 year old monitor.  Both my husband and daughter rolled their eyes at me.  We went to Wal-mart and found a bundle - with a monitor, etc. so, now we I am enjoying it.  It is much faster - and the whole kit was $499 plus tax.  There was only one, and my husband wasn't going to be around to set it up for a while.  So, we got it.  Could we have found it cheaper?  Maybe - cuz I got my COSTCO rebate of $36 that I am applying to a membership - so, I think I will stay out of the computer isle.  In two weeks, this area is having a "Tax-free" weekend on computers under $750 - could I have save a pretty penny then.  Yes, I certainly could have - but would I be sure they would have had the bundle left - so, we made a trade-off and I am pretty happy with it.  I am going to print a few coupons and surf to my hearts content.  I need to get back on the frugal track.  As I said, we are going to make some large purchases shortly.  We gave my daughter a budget for a car/birthday present.  She had her eye on some older sporty models.  But today, we might have made a break-through.  There's a small, brand-new car - comes with a $700 Wal-mart Giftcard - possibly a rebate and can get up to 45 miles per gallon.  She is even talking about trying to negotiate the price even lower than advertised (which we all know doesn't include, tax, title and misc).  Then she tought the giftcard would go a long way on gas.  She even tought of reducing the gas price even more by ride sharing. 

No comments: