Sunday, June 12, 2011

6/12 Expressions

Financial musings:  We received our property assessment for the properties we own at the beach - 1 went down, the other stayed the same.  One more property in a different area - I suspect it will go up slightly like the properties we have in area we live.  I can honestly say I don't mind them going down - because that just means less taxes.  In the beach property area, the tax assessor has been replaced by a new one - he seems more realistic.  The only way I was able to get valuations dropped was by "protesting".  I realize cities, towns, need money too, but fair is fair.  They are quick to increase valuations, but not decrease them.  They get used to each level of spending, and then it is hard to make decisions when the budget is cut.  What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.  Off my soap box now.  As for the foreclosure my husband made an offer on, while the former owners left the property in "move-in" condition - they took all of the appliances.  So, in preparation, I signed-up for a Lowes 10% moving coupon via e-mail and received it yesterday.  I also ordered discounted Lowes giftcards.  My husband needed to "spend" a bit more so that he can earn his 100,000 British Airways miles.  Wouldn't you know it, when he placed his order, the credit card company declined payment and called us - as a fraud alert.  After speaking with my husband, they said go ahead.  So, we looked in the system, and the order was cancelled - so, he placed a second order.  We tried to call customer service - closed until Monday.  So, when we checked late last night - it is now showing both orders are about to ship.  We will probably keep both orders if they ship - as we still have some more home improvement projects - and might as well get them with the extra 10% off.  We may stop by Michaels this afternoon, my daughter has a giftcard and she thinks there are some great coupons in the paper.  Also in the paper, a silent auction next week for a charity - we missed last year.  But they always have great finger foods - and great items - so, we will probably stop there next week.

No comments: