Sunday, May 15, 2011

5/15 Expressions

Frugal lesson of the week:  We went to a charity auction yesterday.  Part of it was a silent auction and part - a "live" auction.  During the silent part - we won a 2 day luxury stay w/grooming for the dog - for the price of grooming only at Petsmart.  During the live auction, my daughter was really excited about a couple of items.  She tends to get competitive and excited.  Okay, I bid on 4 major league baseball tickets which included a 4 day full sized car rental (the venue is about 4 hours away).  I bid on them for my husband and the charity.  It was before he made it to the auction because my daughter is fan of one of the teams too.  My husband said, I did not get much of a bargain because they were general admission tickets - instead of just being happy and glad that if I did actually over pay by a few bucks - it went to charity.  Well, I had to leave for an acupuncture appointment - so, he and my daughter stayed for the rest of the auction.  When I got home, he sheepishly admitted that he and my daughter waaaaay over paid for an electric guitar - like more than twice the regular price.  I said atleast it went to charity.  But there you go, getting over-excited and carried away - and continuing to bid - just because you feel like you can and you have to win - the psychology of an auction.  Had it been a "regular" auction, I said it would have been like "winning the fight, but losing the war." - just be glad the overage went to a good cause. 

No comments: