Tuesday, May 3, 2011

5/3 Expressions

Frugal Lessons of the week:  We were affected by the tornados this past Wednesday.  Fortunately, we had no damage - other than our power/phone signal was out - and apparently restored yesterday.  What I learned from that event - my daughter was bored - so we played board games during the day on Thursday and did some yard work (pulling weeds, taking tree limbs to the curb, etc.) on Friday.  We called the hotel at the airport for a reservation - and got one.  They were running on generator power.  We weren't very worried - because, we had been planning for our trip to Washington, D.C. since my daughter was a poster contest winner.  Our flight was scheduled for early Saturday a.m.  We were out of power since Wednesday evening.  Things were a bit "hairy".  Traffic signals not working; people panicing for fuel (fortunately I had 3/4's a tank) - and we checked on my dad (aka, dog sitter) and he was fine too - but without power.  Since we were going to D.C. - we had not purchased a bunch of groceries - I did lose some from the fridge - and I bit more than I would like out of the freezer - but, it was a pittance compared to many people.  Our flight was cancelled, re-routed, etc. but we finally made it to D.C. Saturday evening.  We stayed at the Capital Hilton because we have Hilton points - and much to our happiness, even though my husband's traveling has been reduced - and he droped a category in "status" - we were still able to use the conceirge room.  That was a wonderful benefit because we had free breakfast every morning - soda, water, and Starbucks coffee all day and on Monday - we had a free dinner - manager's something - with lots of fresh veggies and finger foods - and cookies and milk between 8-10.  Plus, the hotel was very convenient as far as the metro and very close to Capitol.  So, we did not use a cab once, the entire time we were there.  At the ceremony, they gave us each a goodie bag with lots of neat stuff - flash light, first aid kit, etc. - and they also provided a nice lunch.  So, our food expeditures were minimal.  Sunday night, around 11PM EST, we heard a lot of honking horns and yelling.  Our city has most of its power restored - but, there are still those without power.  My daughter is sad that she has to return to school tomorrow - and that I am "off" from work because my building is still without power.  Fortunately, the mail kept coming - and I got a nice pair of tweezers to try-out :)  Tomorrow, I plan to go through my coupons and do some grocery shopping and hopefully get back into the frugal mode.  Oh, and my daughter learned a lesson or two during this time too.  Another lesson she learned, that because we are frugal, we have money to spend on things we want.  An opportunity came up for her to go on a cruise this summer to Alaska - we are going to allow it.  But, she will have lots of chores.  And will have to earn her spending money - so, hopefully, she will sell a bunch of stuff at the upcoming yardsale.

ADDED:  I got a Jones of NY Pant Suit a Filene's Basement for $19.99 plus tax - they were having their take an additional 75% off clearance stuff sale :)

No comments: