Tuesday, September 27, 2011

9/27 Expressions

Frugal deeds for the day:  This evening, my daughter and I ate our dinner at Outback Steakhouse.  I had the coupon for a free steak dinner - but my daughter ordered that meal.  With an appetizer, my meal, drinks, and a trip - we got out of there for $23.  Not exactly free - but the meal was yummy.  Freebies in the mail a coupon for an Old Orchard bottle of juice and coupons from the Home Depot for a buy 2 mums, get one free.  Also, as I stated a week or two ago, I thought the "replacement" values of our homes were too high.  My husband finally got around to making a call.  The insurance agent agreed to drop some of the values - so, our total insurance premiums dropped $200/year.  Next, our dishwasher finally kicked the bucket.  So, I ordered a Stainless Steel Amana from Home Depot (said it was good for families under 3 people - was loud - but cleaned well) - all things we can live with for a price of $299.  Of course I had to order a few kits for the installation.  Delivery, installation, removal of the broken unit were all free.  There was a $25 off code.  So, after tax, etc. my total was just over $313.  But wait!  I went through ebates and will get about $9 back and I used my cash back card, so, I should get atleast $3 back :)  Now, all of the appliances will match.  Then another big shocker for me.  I am not sure how I feel about it - but anyway, the tax assessor for our current residence sent a notice with the intent to raise our property appraisal for tax purchases by $3,000.  Well, I went on line and it has been dropped by almost $40K - ouch.  But it drops our tax bill by just over $200 - so, I will take it.  But, this is an area that was not supposed to have experienced much of a drop - even though I kept seeing houses sit on the market, drop prices continually, etc.  So, there you have it.  We probably will not put this house up for sale next year even though my husband's new employer would pay the selling costs. Funny, the appraised value is about $60K under zillow now.  This will give us more time to renovate it - and probably sell it after my daughter graduates.  Now I can start saving more earnestly for college.  I hope the costs start to stabilize.  Added:  Just got my free "Souther Living Homestyle Cookbook" by buying a few grocery items and sending in the receipt a month or so ago :)

No comments: